In this interview, Dr. Lynyetta Willis discusses how to re-parent ourselves:
- How our family of origin plays into who we are with our own children
- What "reverse shaming" is and why to avoid it
- How to address our family of origin "stuff" as we see it affect our relationship with our co-parent
- Ways to heal alongside another human who's come to expect certain behaviors from us (even if we're working to change those behaviors)
She then discusses parenting:
- How to ground ourselves on the days we feel parenting is too hard / too messy
- Common pitfalls of parenting in the stories we tell ourselves about our children's demeanor or behavior
- How to recognize when we're stuck in a cycle of pain, blame, shame, and avoidance -- and how to get out of this pattern
- Ways to navigate feeling that we've somehow permanently broken the connection we have with our kids -- and how to recover
She closes by discussing her lovely children's book, its key message for kids, and how we can perpetuate this important message in our life with them.
Dr. Willis is truly a gift you won't want to miss.