In this interview, Iris Chen discusses
- Family of origin in a culture of "tiger parenting"
- The choice to depart from that mindset and choose another
- "Un-wiring" our prior selves; our prior patterns
- The importance of discussing a change in parenting directly with children
- What it means to rethink so much of our parenting journey, from our understanding of our roles as parents to how we perceive our children, their actions, and their motivations
- The rupture and repair cycle; encouragement for the parent who feels like too much damage has already been done
- The pushback we give ourselves, as well as the pushback we receive from our family members and friends -- and how to navigate it, especially if the prior way seems to have "worked"
- How we know peaceful parenting really does work -- and how we need to redefine "work" to remove a sense of control or power from our relationships with our children